Detection and measurement
of lens defects
Specialist in the inspection
of implantable (IOLs) and contact lenses (CL)
V-OPTICS is a unique partner on the path of «zero defect».
Our QualiLENS solution dedicated to the qualification of IOLs and Contact Lenses allows with a unique piece of equipment to:
- Perform measurement of Optical Power (Spherical, Cylindric and Prismatic power, Axes)
- Dimensional Control (Diameter, Haptics (IOLs))
- Engravings and Code reading (“Letters and Numbers”, Identification of optical axes)
- Automatic Defect Detection (Edge defects, Scratches, Lathe and machining defects, ...)
QualiLENS systems are by nature customizable. Thanks to the multiple features, reliability, speed and usability, many customers around the world rely on V-OPTICS for their process improvement.
To adapt to the various production processes two versions are available :
- QualiLENS PRO for «BATCH» oriented production (per batch/tray).
- QualiLENS ONE for a «ONE PIECE FLOW» production.
To meet the demands of the most demanding customers, in addition to the “product qualification and measurement” aspect, we have made QualiLENS easy to use, maintain and ready for automation:
|The V-Optics measuring technology used in our systems does not require precise positioning of the lens for the measurement.|
|A lens can be identified automatically at inspection time through code and mark reading capabilities.|
|For BATCH processes, «smart tray management» allows tracking lens batches until they are removed from the tray on our connected sorting station.|
|The interface with production management systems allows real-time data exchange and remote control of the equipment via digital signals and the computer network.|
|QualiLENS is designed for clean room environment and easy to operate by “touch” interfaces.|
QualiLENS is specially designed to make production automation easy, and to control quality by ensuring efficient traceability.
Dedicated to an automated control of single lenses, QualiLENS ONE is suitable to be used on a workstation.
As part of an automated/robotic line, QualiLENS ONE is fully adapted to fit into a «ONE PIECE FLOW» process.
The control of a lens is carried out in three steps :
Loading of the lens into the appropriate «cuvette» according an in aqueous (in situ) or in dry ( in air) control.
The operator triggers the control process.
A few seconds are enough to provide the results of various measurements, reports and data archiving.
The operator removes the lens from the system, and performs the conditioning for the next production step.
For an integration into automated lines, QualiLENS ONE is available in a specific version; more adapted for robotic loading.
QualiLENS ONE comes with all the sensors, software, and electronics needed for the data processing required for its operation.
V-Optics perfoms also commissioning and specific setting in collaboration with the customer. The customer is trained by our teams to be fully autonomous in the use and adjustment of its control parameters.
For fully automated control in batch production, QualiLENS PRO is the right solution.
The control of a batch takes place in three phases :
The lenses of are placed into «bins» or «trays» specially designed for processing in an aqueous (in situ) or dry (in air) condition. Each lens is placed in an individual cavity.
The «tray» is placed into QualiLENS PRO. The control cycle can start.
To remove the lenses from the tray it is placed on a special tool called “connected sorting table». A backlight system illuminates each cavity where a lens is located and allows the operator to act it according to the color code (green=compliant, red=discarded, orange = possible operator decision).
The plate filling, control and removal of the lenses after measurement can be done asynchronously. To ensure the tracking of batches of lenses in such a process the «trays» are equipped with an intelligent tracking system based on RFID technology compatible with cleaning and sterilization processes.
In fact, when the lenses are placed in a tray, a digital link is established between the batch and the tray used. This information is then available to QualiLENS PRO or to the sort out table. Also in this way the results of a batch of lenses is displayed without user action as soon as a tray is placed in QualiLENS or on the sorting table.
Example of use:
- 1 The lenses are cleaned and placed into the trays (One batch per tray).
- 2 A tray is loaded into QualiLENS PRO.
- 3 The tray is identified as well as the information of the batch of lenses into it.
- 4 QualiLENS PRO performs measurement of all lenses.
- 5 At the end of the cycle a light and/or sound signal is generated.
- 6 The tray is unloaded from QUALILENS. (QUALILENS is available immediately to receive a new tray)
- 7 The operator installs a tray previously controlled by QualiLENS on the «sorting station». Information about the contents (batch, etc.) are automatically displayed and the backlight illuminates each cavity where a lens is located indicating to the operator whether it is compliant or not.
- 8 Once the tray has been emptied, the operator will inform the system of the current batch processing closure.
Multiple sorting tables can be connected to a single QualiLENS PRO simultaneously, allowing to combine unloading and final lens conditioning in a single workstation.
Easy to use , safety and traceability have been a guide line for the development of QualiLENS PRO. .
QualiLENS in detail
01 Main functions and measurement of optical characteristics
Products for QualiLENS ONE and PRO
- Control of rigid and soft contact lenses
- Control of hydrophilic and hydrophobic implantable lenses (IOLs)
- Control of monofocal, toric , multifocal lenses.
- Measurement in air (dry) or «in situ» (aqueous medium)
Main functions available on QualiLENS ONE and PRO :
- Intuitive and easy to use software
- Secure settings, secure user access
- Detailed results of measurements available for archiving and traceability
- Measurement results available for production management software
- Extraction of data from the manufacturing order for the control of the machine
- Control reports available per lens, per batch
- Automatic monitoring of the system and tools (cuvettes, trays)
- (PRO only) Tray management and monitoring by RFID technology
- (PRO only) Connection with «Filling Station» and «Sorting Station»
- Automatic lens quality and conformity check (semi-automatic possible with operator intervention)
02 Key measurements and controls
- Sphere, Addition, Cylinder, (Prism)
- Cylinder axes, orthogonality, recognition of toric marks
- Diameter of the lens (CL)
- Control of haptics and design (IOLs)
- Control of drilling
Laser engraving/ codes:
- Reading of engravings, quality control of engraving.
- Control parameters of each the lens performed according
to the code.
Automatic (or semi-automatic) detection of defects such as:
- Handling marks,
- Point in the center,
- Lathe marks
- Milling, marks
- Tear out of material,
- Edge defects
- Haptic damages
- Others on request
Examples from QualiLENS defect list:
03 Principle for defining quality control of lenses
The user can define the criteria for controlling the lenses according his needs (by lens type, customer, reference, etc.).
The control criterias can be defined individually according 3 zones whose dimensions are freely definable by the user.
1AREA 1 (optical center) 2 AREA 2 (peripheral area) 3 AREA 3 (edge/external area)
The control criteria can be modified for the different areas above via a dedicated interface and the simulator allows to see in real time the effect of a change of criteria on data from archived lenses.
This makes it possible to setup «offline» settings, test them and validate them on production data before downloading them to production.